Lean On Him

As I have struggled with hurts from my past in recent days, I have also witnessed dear friends of mine dealing with a heartbreaking situation in their own family and tonight I find myself profoundly sad about so many things - foster children being moved from safe homes with families that love them back to their parents who don't have their best interests in mind; children who have experienced abuse that leaves them paralyzed with shame; families who continue to fight and let their own selfish motives stand in the way even as a loved one has died tragically and suddenly; foster parents who give everything for those in their care and yet watch them make decisions that hurt everyone around them; young girls who, for whatever reason, feel so insecure that they write horrible things about others who have done them no harm; children who grow up without a parent and still feel that loss so profoundly as they live their lives as grownups.

The pain in this life can be overwhelming at times and if we let it, it could literally consume us and eat us alive. But for those of us who know Christ personally, we have a hope. We know He will come again and when He does, there will be no more tears and no more sadness. We have that wonderful day to look forward to. In the meantime, we are left here to live our lives as best we can while endlessly trying to point others to the same hope that we have in Him.

I wrote this untitled poem back in 2000, during a time when I was struggling so much with the painful things that go on in our world. Back then, I could simply pick up a pen and sit with a piece of paper and the words would just come spilling out. I'm so thankful God gave me such an outlet and I pray it will be a blessing to others.

With questions in mind, I got down on my knees,

Knowing that God would take note of my pleas.

My heart was heavy and filled with despair,

And I needed to how much did God care.

I said, “My Dear Heavenly Father, please listen to me,

Open my heart, my eyes and allow me to see.

I look at the world and see so much pain

Tears everywhere are just falling like rain.

Children are hurting, lost and confused,

Starving and neglected, mistreated and abused.

People take their lives and just simply give up,

Never knowing a drink from the Master’s cup

Crimes are committed each and every day,

And offenders often don’t even have to pay.

I look at the world and see such a mess

Filled with depression and so much emptiness.

God, I wonder how can you sit upon Your throne,

And watch what we all know you do not condone.

You are the great and powerful king,

Yet people say you aren’t doing anything.

If you are so mighty, so just and so wise,

Please help me see the truth in all of these lies.

I know that you love each and everyone

So much that you sent your one and only son

To die on a cross, after being beaten and mocked

Yet people still allow their hearts to stay locked.

They aren’t willing to give their lives to you

And experience all the wonderful things you can do.

They are content to continue to live in sin,

But they must know that they will never win.

God, why are people so ignorant and blind?

Always seeking the truth, thinking it’s hard to find?

Why don’t they take the easy way

And ask you into their hearts today?”

I waited a moment, listening for His voice,

Wondering if I had made the right choice.

Then out of the silence, He spoke to my heart

He said, “I know the world is falling apart.

You can’t imagine the pain that I feel,

I know the problems are so very real.

I have provided the answer and so few respond

It’s easy to see why things continue to go wrong.

I don’t ask for much, just wanting their trust

Don’t they know I made them from the dust?

I want to make their hurts go away,

But they choose to continue astray.

But my child, you have given me your all,

And I promise I will never let you fall.

I will love you with all of my heart,

And you and I will never, ever part.

Keep the faith and always trust in me,

And your life will be my light for all to see.”

I got off my knees, my heart filled with peace,

Knowing the wonders of my God never cease.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sufficient Grace Among Thorns

100 Things I'm Thankful For

April Thoughts *Trigger Warning*