Identifying With the Israelites

The Israelites were an interesting group of people. They witnessed some of God's greatest miracles and yet turned away from Him time and time again. I've often wondered what it would have been like to live untouched during the plagues in Egypt, walk the dry ground under the parted Red Sea, and be fed by God's mysterious manna every day. How awesome!

Of course, there was another side to the Israelites. The were prone to wander away from God and turn to idols of their own choosing, even after all the wonderful things He had done for them. They seemed to cycle through a pattern of following God and submitting to His authority and then turning just as easily, seeming to forget all that God had done for them until something, usually painful, happened that turned them back to God. I've often wondered how they could have been SO blind, having God right there with them doing these amazing things and then purposely turning to worship golden calves. But, if I'm honest with myself, I identify with the Israelites in more ways than one. I've seen God do incredible things in my own life, things that I know could not have come from anywhere else than the hand of God. And yet, I go through my own cycles of forgetting what He has done and following my own path.

For example, I haven't been to church for weeks now. It's so easy for me to make excuses for why I don't go - the half hour drive each way, the fact that it's summer and so easy to get out of my usual routine, knowing there aren't people my age or in my stage of life (not married, no kids, not in college anymore) at church, etc. But that's not all. I don't pray regularly and I haven't sat down to read my Bible in a long time. I'm doing a Bible study with a friend and we meet weekly but honestly, I usually don't do the week's lesson until the day or two before we meet. I know my friend deserves more than that (sorry Marilyn).

If I'm completely honest, I haven't been excited about my relationship with Christ for a long time. I remember when I was in college, actually being excited to go to church every Sunday and Wednesday. I loved going to every church get together, I needed that time with my church family. I know part of it was that in college, I had a group of friends who I regularly fellowshipped with, friends my age. One of the down sides of living in such a small town, or in Wyoming for that fact, is the limited number of churches to attend and the small number of Christians period. I've been a member of three different churches in the past six year or so, and I still have yet to find one that I truly get excited about attending and where I feel completely comfortable.

A bunch of excuses, I know, and pathetic ones at that. But in being honest, it's where I'm at right now. Part of me fears what painful experience it is going to take to get me back in a right relationship with God and other believers, and the other part of me is comfortable following this current path that I'm on. Like with the Israelites, it's only a matter of time before I trip over my own self and find myself crawling back to God, praying He will take me back with open, loving arms just like He did with them time and time again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sufficient Grace Among Thorns

100 Things I'm Thankful For

April Thoughts *Trigger Warning*