Breaking Generational Sin

My Sunday School class is studying the book of Genesis and we are at the point where some years have passed since the flood and Noah and his family have settled and begun to put down roots. They planted a vineyard and one day, Noah drank too much wine and passed out in his tent. One brother, Ham, tried to make light of the situation and get his brothers to have a little fun at their dad's expense but the two other brothers, Shem and Japheth, were having none of that. They handled the situation with respect and love for their dad. Needless to say, when Noah woke up and learned what Ham had done, he was furious and basically laid out a curse that Ham and his people would be slaves to the people of his brothers. (Genesis 9:20-27)

One of the follow-up questions in our study book was what generational sins have we seen in our own families. Almost everyone in my class are the parents of grown children and they were able to comment on the perspective of their own sins they have seen played out in the lives of their children. Having no children of my own, I offered my perspective of experiencing the effects of sin from not only my parents but my parent's parents - my grandparents - particularly on my dad's side of the family.

Growing up, I was very close with most of my cousins. We were all around the same age and played together all the time. Holidays and vacations were spend together as well as countless weekends of playing and spending time with each other. At birthday parties, I had more cousins in attendance than friends and I loved spending time with them.

When the fall of 1991 rolled around, I told of the abuse I had suffered at the hands of my grandfather for most of my childhood. That same night, he was sent away for treatment and it seemed my once close-knit, loving family was destroyed over night and nothing was ever the same. Because of the way my dad, his siblings, and his parents decided to handle the situation (lies, half-truths, more secrets) my cousins and I paid a high price. There are cousins I have not seen since then and others I can't remember the last time I saw. We all missed out on the chance to grow up together and those holidays and vacations we once spent together were no more.

Now that my cousins and I are adults, and thanks to the wonderful thing that is Facebook, some of us have been able to reconnect with each other and get to know each other once again. I've had cousins say they wish they had known what was going on back when the abuse all came to light so they could have supported me and been there for me and, my goodness, that has been incredibly encouraging. After experience cruel words and hurtful actions from their parents, it has been refreshing to see that my cousins are stepping up as individuals to make their own decisions and form their own opinions concerning myself and all that happened.

While getting to know these cousins has been a good thing, it has also opened my eyes to the sin that is still out there in our family tree. Whether it be some type of sexual sin, denial, unkind words, or the continuation of keeping secrets and telling lies, I am at times struck by how sick my family seems to be and I wonder, "Does it ever end?" Sadly, my heart already knows that until Christ returns to take us home with Him, there will always be sin and evil, even in my own family.

But I have learned I don't have to be a victim or bystander of those sins, I can take a stand and do everything within my power to change things, if only just for myself and those I influence. Some of my cousins are choosing to do the same with their own children and families. I had lunch last week with a cousin and it was apparent how determined she is to raise her children in a way that we were never raised - with truth, respect, protection, and lots of love.

There are a lot of times in my life I've not been proud to say I'm a Hensley. I am proud, however, to refuse to be bound by the sins of my parents, aunts, uncles, and grandparents...I am proud to be part of a new generation of Hensleys.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sufficient Grace Among Thorns

100 Things I'm Thankful For

April Thoughts *Trigger Warning*