Lord, I Miss Her...




As the tears have fallen over the past several days, these few words are all I can manage when talking to God. I miss Maggie more than I ever thought possible. It's only been a week but it seems like an eternity since I last pet her, buried my face in the fur on her neck when we cuddled, or held open the door to the backseat of my Jeep so she could jump in and ride along wherever I was going.

My house seems so quiet and still without her following my every move, either with just her eyes or by getting up to move wherever I was. The nights are the hardest as she used to sleep right beside me in bed and now there's just an empty space. Her food dish still sits on the floor as I don't have the heart to put away quite yet and the other end of the couch sits empty in the evening while I'm watching tv. Her absence has been deafening at times, and completely heartbreaking at others.

Maggie had a few quirks that made me laugh but the biggest was her obsession with burying other dog's toys! In the house I lived in when I first got her, there was a chain-link fence that separated our place from the neighbors. They had a dog about the same size as Maggie and over time, they had both dug a little hole under the fence. One day I noticed one of the neighbor's dog's toys in my yard so I threw it back over the fence and went about my day. A few days later I found it buried (very obviously) in my yard and threw it back AGAIN. I would do that many, many times as the neighbor dog would pass her toys to Maggie under the fence and Maggie would bury them in our yard. Another time, we went to a friend's house to water their plants while they were out of town and Maggie busied herself burying their dog's bones in their dog's kennel! I also found many bones belonging to Ryan's dogs in his yard a few weeks ago while raking up all the leaves that Maggie had buried throughout the winter. She was obsessed and it always made me laugh!

Maggie was a friend to many, and I've been reminded that a lot since she died. I used to take her to Trinity with me each day when I worked there and students that hadn't seen her in years were saddened when they heard she died. She went to church with me on Sundays, as the designated Assistant Children's Church Director and she was loved by the adults just as much as the kids. A couple of women in my Sunday School class that designated themselves as 'Maggie's Sunday Morning Grannies" and she went straight to our room every Sunday morning, practically drooling in anticipation of those dog treats!

It is said that dogs are man's best friend and I have to agree. Maggie was this wo(man)'s best friend. Always loyal and faithful, always wagging her tail and wiggling her whole body when I came home - even if I was only gone a short while, always loving and accepting me for who I was. She loved me for me with no expectations or any conditions to meet. She was amazing in every way.

Rest in peace, sweet girl.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sufficient Grace Among Thorns

100 Things I'm Thankful For

April Thoughts *Trigger Warning*