Say Something...Anything

This blog will be short, sweet and, hopefully, to the point! When an abuse survivor shares any detail of their story and experience with you, no matter how small or how trivial you may think it is, please say something. Say anything. I still carry shame around with me concerning the things that happened to my body and when I trust someone enough to say something, getting silence in return is painfully brutal. I'm already thinking the very worst about myself and in your silence, I believe you are thinking the same things too - "That happened to her?? Ew." "She didn't do anything to stop it?" I need to know that we're still okay, that you still love me and see me as the woman you saw me as before.

I've had many people email or write me to share their experiences and even if I can't respond as thoroughly as I would like to at the time, I always send a little message that thanks them for sharing and tells them I still love them and will respond more fully later. I have friends that do the same with me and trust me when I say it is a healing balm to the soul to hear those words. Sharing my past makes me feel incredibly vulnerable and raw and getting any kind of positive response helps to restore my dignity. Of course, there are those that respond negatively, and you know what? Even that is better than silence because I know where that person stands.

So please, when someone who has experienced trauma in their childhood that left them broken, confused, afraid, and utterly alone, please reach out in love. It does wonders for their heart, I promise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sufficient Grace Among Thorns

100 Things I'm Thankful For

April Thoughts *Trigger Warning*