Freedom Comes With Sharing

"Sometimes you just need to talk about it - not to get sympathy or help, but just to kill its power by allowing the truth of things to hit the air." ~ Karen Salmansohn
 
 
 
In my previous blog, I mentioned my struggles with feeling as though life - and God - had forgotten me as my prayers seemingly go unanswered. I didn't share what those prayers were because, honestly, there was great vulnerability in the words and the thought of typing them and trying to explain was extremely daunting. As a source of deep hurt within my heart, there was hesitation in bringing them into the light.

After reading the blog, a friend asked how she could pray specifically and I made the decision to try and give words to this hurt. As I sent the text, I felt a weight being lifted off my chest and found I was able to breathe a little easier. A few days before, another friend had asked how she could pray for me so I decided to share it with her too. Again, my burden grew lighter. I shared it one more time that evening with another friend I knew who would listen and lift me up in prayer. Not surprisingly, I felt even more freedom and more peace after sharing.

What about those prayers that I see going unanswered? For most of my adult life, I have been content to be single. I've always figured that if God intends for me to marry, He'll bring the right person at the right time. If not, there are so many ways I can minister to others in my singleness that I couldn't do if I had a husband. Lately, however, I've had this longing for marriage. For a godly husband that will love me and commit to spending the rest of his life with me. I look around at others who are married and/or getting engaged and I won't lie - I am extremely envious. "Someone chose them...someone wants them" are words that Satan whispers in my ear over and over and over again. But at the same time, I wonder if it's that I truly want to get married and spend the rest of my life with someone, or do I just want that comfort that comes from knowing I am wanted? Because my mom left and the sexual abuse in my childhood, Satan tells me that I'm not wanted and that I'm unloveable. Sometimes his voice is a silent hiss in my ear, other times it's a deafening scream that I can't shut out. Would marriage silence that voice? Would a trip down the aisle convince me that I was wanted? I don't know. But I do know giving words to these thoughts has given me a peace that I can hold onto until God shows me His plan.

I've always said secrets fester in silence, but what I'm learning more and more is that unspoken hurts grow into hideous monsters that can be all-consuming. Satan loves this! He whispers lie upon lie, adding to the weight and pain of our hurt to the point it becomes unbearable and we wonder how we can ever give words to it. At least that's my experience. Anyone else?

What secret hurt or prayer do you need to bring into the light? Speak up, speak out. Write it down and hand it to a friend, text it to someone, or pick up the phone and dial a number. Slap a hand over Satan's mouth and remind him Whose voice you will listen to. There is great freedom and healing, I promise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sufficient Grace Among Thorns

100 Things I'm Thankful For

April Thoughts *Trigger Warning*