In A Slump

"Let all that I am wait quietly before God, for my hope is in him. He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress where I will not be shaken. My victory and honor come from God alone. He is my refuge, a rock where no enemy can reach me." Psalm 62:5-7

I realized today that I'm in a slump...a 'haven't been to church in a month' slump. I feel like I should be attending Church Missers Anonymous meetings.

"Hi, my name is Angie and I haven't been to church in over a month."

"Hi, Angie" (Applause)

Can you picture the scene with me? Pretty pathetic. The sad part of it all is I can't even really identify what is keeping me from going to church. There was the Sunday I had school activities going on, but I could have gone in between my students' performance. Then there were a couple Sundays when the friend of mine who attends the church I'm trying was out of town and I used the old "I don't want to go alone" excuse, which was completely lame. Then there was this morning when I had every intention of going to church. I was showered, completely dressed and ready to go, and somewhere between picking up my Bible and walking out the door, I talked myself out of going. Why? I don't know! I like the pastor at this church, the people there have been friendly and welcoming, and the couple of Sundays I actually went, I really enjoyed the service. So what in the world is going on?

I really wish I had the answers. I still read my Bible every day and I still pray and so it's not one of those times when I feel out of sync with God. I've been through those seasons in my faith where my relationship with God seemed stagnant or distanced, but I can't say I feel like this is one of those times.

I guess if I'm honest, this slump doesn't just have to do with the issue of going to church, I can see it in other areas of my life. Is it possible I'm going through a pre mid-life crisis of some sort? I will turn 28 in two weeks and lately have been wondering what I have to show for the last 28 years. Not a whole lot if I really think about it. Sure, I've got my job as a 2nd grade teacher that I absolutely love, and I hope I'm shaping the lives of my students each day that we're together. But there is a chance I will not have that job next year and if not, I'm right back to not having any idea what to do with my life. I had thought teaching this year might help me make up my mind to go and finish my teaching degree, but it hasn't. I love it and will continue to do it as long as Trinity allows, but it's not something I want to pursue beyond that. The problem is, I don't know what I want to pursue...what I want to do with my life.

So that's where I'm at - in a slump and not sure what's to come next. But the one thing I am confident of is that my hope is in the Lord. He alone knows the future and I wait quietly before Him as He reveals His plan to me.

Comments

  1. first of all.. 30? i think not. you were born in 1981. That would make you turning 28 silly...

    i am sorry you are going through all of this.. i dont know what to say to you- i am not good with this kind of stuff. bc i dont know. im sorry.

    all i can say, is that i am praying for you. and i love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right...28...not 30. I really thought I typed 28, I had to go back and re-read it! Thanks for looking out for me and doing the math! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just LOST!! I was like.. no, she is not that much older than me.. A. she lied to me summer of 02' or B. she is really believing she is thirty!

    I enjoy your blog. I am adding it to my faves, I dont read it near enough.


    love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope, I didn't lie...I just thought one thing and typed another! You know, I would LOVE to keep up on your blog too but there's one slight problem - you know, the whole idea that you need to update it!! Just kidding, I'm sure it's hard with Nate being gone to get motivated to do that kind of stuff. I'll just keep enjoying keeping up with your world on FB. Love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea, Im a terrible blogger.. i should just delete it.. Igh! When do you head to Dallas?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sufficient Grace Among Thorns

100 Things I'm Thankful For

April Thoughts *Trigger Warning*