Jesus Will Meet You There







(Not sure who made the video but at least you can hear the song!) 

I love this song. Written by Steven Curtis Chapman after his youngest daughter Maria was killed in an accident at their home in May 2008, it not only speaks to the pain he and his family have endured over the past 21 months but to many life situations that we all face. This song shows us that, 'whatever valley you must walk through, Jesus will meet you there.'

Lately it seem as though I've prayed for Jesus to not only meet me where I am struggling, but also where I know friends are facing hurts and struggles of their own. A sister in Christ is facing infidelity in her marriage where she is questioning so much and trying to keep Satan from having his way in all that has happened; a friend is getting ready to welcome her little boy into this world while grieving the loss of her only brother only a couple of weeks before Christmas; 10 Christians are being held in Haiti on charges amidst rumors, lies, and misinformation; another close friend is trying s to survive each day in a marriage where little pieces of her are destroyed by her husband's words, actions, and behaviors. I've also been facing struggles of my own having to do with issues from my childhood abuse rearing their ugly heads and what I believe to be the 'thorn in my flesh' (my relationship, or lack thereof, with my mom) seeming somewhat 'infected' as of late. There are days it all seems too much to bear but Jesus promises to meet me there.

At the same time, I know that all of this sadness and pain hasn't been in vain. God has revealed insight to me about something in the past I was never able to make peace with. As I've talked with my friend facing infidelity in her marriage, her resolve to stay with her husband and work things out helps me to understand why my grandma was able to stay with my grandfather so many years ago when she found out he had abused me for years. Yes, the two circumstances are completely different and different factors play into each, but the bitterness I have had towards my grandma has somewhat dissolved over recent days as I've been able to see things through my friend's perspective.

God has also blessed me with an incredible friend who has been a listening ear, a gentle voice, a shoulder to lean on, and a faithful prayer warrior each day. She and I have had several conversations in the last couple of weeks and I've never felt so comfortable talking with someone as I have with her. I've shared secret fears and thoughts that I've never shared aloud with anyone else and she has been nothing but supportive and loving. Through her friendship, God has met me at some very painful, yet healing, places.

There have been recent days where I have just felt this incredibly heavy burden from the moment I wake up. It's litteraly like a weight that I can feel in my chest. On those days, I find myself on the verge of tears many times and my mind constantly thinking of those around me that are hurting. One time, a few years ago, I had cried for days because of something that had happened to a woman I knew. She was not a personal friend, just an acquaintance I had seen once or twice at church events, and I couldn't understand why the extremely sad things happening in her life where affecting me in such a powerful way. As I talked to a friend about it, he said it was because God had given me the gift of mercy. After taking various spiritual gift inventories over the years, the gift of mercy was always my highest score but until then, I had never known what it meant to have that gift. Now I think I'm beginning to understand. I hurt when those around me hurt and I even hurt for others I have never met or don't know on a personal level. Now I want to take this gift to the next level and figure out how God would have me apply it to those who are hurting. Yes, I can grieve for them and yes, I can pray for them, but I would like to do something more and I pray God will show me what else He would have me do with this gift He has given.

So, whatever it is you are facing today, just remember that "He knows the way to wherever you are. He knows the way to the depths of your heart. He knows the way 'cause He's already been where you're goin'. Jesus will meet you there."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sufficient Grace Among Thorns

100 Things I'm Thankful For

April Thoughts *Trigger Warning*