A Girl's Best Friend



Exactly a year ago, God blessed me with one of the greatest gifts I ever could have asked for - my dog Maggie. A year ago this weekend, I picked her up from the vet who had fostered her for a week-long trial period. I knew by Monday that I was never going to take Maggie back! Over this past year, she has been the perfect dog for me, it's like we were made for each other! She is extremely loyal, very protective, and a lot of fun to watch if she doesn't think you're looking! I noticed last year how much it did my heart good to come home each day after school to find her waiting so excitedly in the yard for me. After having cats for the past few years that only cared when I came home if their food bowl was empty, it was a nice change.  She loves to ride in the car with me, no matter where I go, and sits straight up in the backseat looking out the window. She is so serious when she does it that it cracks me up! Now that it's gotten colder, I take her to school a lot and she loves hanging out with the kids. Her favorite time of the day is Story Time when she lies on the floor and the kids gather around her and just sit and pet her the entire time I'm reading. She loves it! When I go inside the main building of our school and head to the office or somewhere at the other end of the hall, she often goes before me or lags behind and peeks her head into each classroom along the way. Everyone - teachers, students, and even some parents - know Maggie and are happy to greet her as she makes her trek through the building. A favorite class of mine to take Maggie to is the preschool. It is so fun  to watch them play with her and after a few minutes, notice that there's something different about her and try to figure out what it is! I've been asked a lot about why she's missing a leg and one of the 3 year olds said it best when he asked, "Why does her only have free foots?"

One of my favorite times of the day is when I come home after work and Maggie snuggles with me on the couch. She always lays her head on my lap, lets out a deep sigh and falls fast asleep, like she's saying, "Now that you're home safe Mom, I can finally rest." She's incredibly smart and a fast learner, proving so by instantly jumping off the bed or the couch when I ask if she 'wants to cuddle' and waits for me to lay down and lift up the covers, then jumps up next to me and lays as close as she can. The only down side is that she can be quite a bed hog!

I never understood the bond between a person and their dog until I got Maggie. She had had two different owners before me - her original owners and then the vet's family that fostered her - but bonded very early in our time together. I didn't know just how bonded we were until I left her with my grandma for a day and she made her first ever escape attempt! My grandma said she had never seen a 3 legged dog run so fast! One afternoon at school, I had to run over to the main building for something and gave my 6 students (all boys) the very serious task of taking care of my dog while I was gone and they assured me over and over that they were up for the responsibility. I left the outside door cracked just a little when I left and began the short journey over to the other building. I hadn't even reached the door when all of a sudden, Maggie comes barreling out of my classroom with all 6 boys running after her calling, "Maggie come back!!" The look on their faces was priceless!

I thank God for Maggie daily. I had always wanted a dog and prayed He would give me one when it was time. Well, this past year has proved to be the time and I could not ask for a better dog!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sufficient Grace Among Thorns

100 Things I'm Thankful For

April Thoughts *Trigger Warning*