Give 'Em Heaven

I love my job at Trinity Lutheran. I can honestly say that most mornings I wake up thinking, "I get to go to school" and rarely does the thought, "Time to get ready for work" cross my mind. I've always said that I consider myself very blessed to have found a job I love so early in life. I have had jobs in the past where I would wake up and wonder how long it had been since I called in sick and if it could feasibly be 'sick' again. I love to watch my students learn and grow, I love that I get to take Maggie to work with me and although I keep the same routine in my classroom each day, there's always a new adventure waiting around the corner. I also believe that because I teach at a private school, I get the opportunity to get to know my students and their families on a more personal level and I really love that chance to get involved in more than just their life in the classroom. I really am blessed!

This year I am teaching my biggest class since I started, eight students - five girls and three boys. While it has been fun to have this many little ones under my care, I've also found myself extremely sad and heartsick over the life situations that some of them are in. I know that because I teach in a private school, my students are a little more 'protected' from the outside world and influences. Their environment, at school anyway, is a little more controlled and I've always loved that about Trinity. But I can't help what goes on in their private lives and sometimes, that really hurts. In my class of eight, I have four that come from broken families. As amazing as this sounds, I went four years as a teacher without a student who had divorced parents in my class. This year, however, 50% of my students know the heartache and sadness that comes with parents who divorce. I have one little boy whose parents divorced last school year, and both of his parents have significant others already. One little girl has a dad that she sees every other weekend and they stay in a motel when he comes. In the past, he has left her alone with her two little sisters while he goes off and does whatever it is he thinks is more important than spending time with his precious little girls. Another little boy lives with his dad and step-mom and although I don't know much about his relationship with his mom, I am sure it contributes to the unsettled factor of his personality. Then there's the little girl whose dad lives in Texas and never comes up to see her. She brings him up if we talk about Texas, if we talk about dads, and at other random times during the day. One morning last week she broke my heart by saying, "I never get to see my dad. He says he doesn't come visit because he doesn't want to see my mom," in the saddest and yet most matter-of-fact way.

What's a teacher to do with these students? I hate that they are already experiencing such pain and loss so early in their lives. I e-mailed a past teacher of mine who has always there when I was struggling with my own life issues and he gave me a piece of advice I will never forget. "Give 'em heaven Angie." (Thanks Coach!) If  my students don't remember anything else from 2nd grade, I want them to remember that Miss Hensley loved them. I want to hug them, encourage them, and cheer them up at every opportunity that arises. I want to see past their tough attitudes or grouchy moods and know they are just trying to deal with adult problems with the mind of a child. I want to love them when they are at their most unlovable. Most off all, and this is my prayer every day, I want them to see Jesus in all that I say and do. That's what I want them to remember.

Comments

  1. What a great post. I love the last paragraph! Let me tell you- I always use MY painful past to relate to my students.. especially the younger ones. You can relate on a level other teachers my not be able too. God clearly gave these kids to you for a reason. USE your past ... and pain... to reach them. Be the light they don't have at home. Give them the attention and love that they don't get at home! I love you, Ang. You are in a hard place.. and I am praying for you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sufficient Grace Among Thorns

100 Things I'm Thankful For

April Thoughts *Trigger Warning*