Forgiveness Poems

As I've had time to let my last blog, Forgiveness and Consequences, settle in and have turned the words over and over inside my heart and my mind, I've decided to add a couple of poems to shed more insight into this subject. The first is a poem I wrote shortly after I started praying a prayer of forgiveness towards my grandfather. The second two poems show the battle that often raged within me as Satan tried to persuade me to withhold my forgiveness in the months that followed that initial prayer.

 

Forgiving


 The decision has been made, the prayer has been said,

My mind was made up and on my knees, I bowed my head.

As I talked to the Lord, with tears on my cheeks,

I gave to Him what He had been asking for weeks.

The burden too heavy, the pain just too great,

I asked Him to take my hurt, my sadness and hate.

The choice to forgive isn’t easy but I know it’s a must,

God tells me it’s right and in His love I trust.

He will deliver me from the hurt and the pain,

The peace He can give will soon be my gain.

Though Satan will soon try to change my heart,

I will stand strong and not allow him to start.

The decision was mine and I made it at last,

Now I leave it to God, this burden, my past.

 

 

Untitled


 It hit me again today Lord, those thoughts from some time ago,

Those old feelings hit me hard, making me question all that I know.

I was surprised by their power, by the awesome force with which they hit,

And for just a few seconds I wanted to change, to alter my beliefs a bit.

I wanted to forget what your word says Lord, that your love is for us all,

And whether we are your children or not, that at times each one of us fall.

I know I’m not supposed to hate him Lord, that forgiving means letting that go,

But sometimes I really want to hate him, want to hate him with everything I know.

I want you to hate him too Lord, hate him for the awful things that he did,

Robbing me of so many innocent joys, stealing so much from me as a kid.

Remember the nights he came in my room, and how he’d leave me in tears,

And my little child mind didn’t know what to do with such unspeakable fears?

I remember it all so well Lord, the scenes still play over and over in my head,

And even as horrible as the memories are, I just can’t forget what you have said.

You said you don’t play favorites Lord, that your love is always equally given,

And those choosing your unfailing love will one day be with you in heaven.

When we repent of our sins Lord, you promise to remember them no more,

You won’t hold them against us forever, you completely shut their door.

You faithfully remind me again and again that your promises are for him too,

That even his sins are worth forgiving, with a mercy that comes only from you.

In your perfect sight Lord, you know his sins and mine are the same,

Some aren’t worse than others, we’ve both sinned against your name.

So help me to remember again Lord, that your love for me is his too,

And help me to once again just turn this hard struggle over to you.

 

 

The Fight Within


 The battle is so fierce, the stakes are so high,

Lord give me strength, I hear my heart cry.

Thy word is my guide, a light to my path,

And yet still I fear the evil one’s wrath.

His ways are so sly and he knows where I’m weak,

He knows all the truths I so desperately seek.

The part of me in Christ wants to do right,

To do what He says, to trust in His might.

He commands me to love, in spite of the pain,

To trust in a power I can hardly explain.

But the evil one taunts, saying “What about you?

What about the hurt and pain you’ve been through?

Revenge is the answer, it’s much easier to hate.

You can pay them back, before it’s too late.

Why should you forgive, why love them now?

Come on, get revenge, let me show you how.’

Part of me wants to listen, to go along with his plan,

To hurt those that have hurt me, just because I can.

But way deep inside, I hear that still, small voice,

Saying, “My child don’t listen, please make the right choice.

I know you’ve been hurt, and your heart has been broken,

But just look in my Word, see the truths I have spoken.

I’ve given you my commandments, they’re for your own good,

I know how you’re feeling, in your shoes I have stood.

People hurt me too and like you, I was betrayed,

But even for their sins, my death on the cross paid.

If you love those who hurt you, the blessing is all yours,

And every time you pray for them, my love for you soars.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sufficient Grace Among Thorns

100 Things I'm Thankful For

April Thoughts *Trigger Warning*