Hana's Bo

A few weeks ago, when the reality of having to put my cat Calli to sleep became more apparent, I began to question whether or not I should adopt another cat. When I got to thinking about all the time Lola, my other cat, would be spending alone during the days I was working, I decided I should probably get a cat to keep her company. As I began to look at the Riverton animal shelter website, I already knew I didn't want a kitten. Most people who go to the shelter for a cat want a kitten and I have a heart for all of those older cats that get overlooked. None of them really caught my eye so I decided to look elsewhere. My grandma told me the animal shelter in Dubois often has a lot of older cats so I decided to look there. They didn't have a website but my grandma saw a picture of Bo - a gray, 10 year old, declawed cat - in the newspaper, and told me I should get him. I knew I wouldn't do anything until I got home from my trip to Arizona for Christmas so I decided to just think about the cat while I was away.

Everything changed when my grandma e-mailed me to tell me the cat used to belong to a woman named Hana and had been at the shelter since she died last spring. When I learned that information, I knew Bo was meant to be mine. When I first became a Christian and went to church in Dubois, I sat by Hana almost every Sunday. She was such an inspiration to me in my faith as I watched her walk through the death of her son from cancer with such grace and hope. My grandma also mentioned that two others had tried to adopt Bo, only to bring him back days later because of some 'potty issues' he had. Those 'issues' have turned out to be far less stressful than what I dealt with concerning Calli's chronic bladder infections and haven't even phased me.

Now that he's been with us for a few days, I know he is here to stay. He's becoming more affectionate and cuddly with each passing day and yesterday when I made tuna casserole for dinner, he went crazy! Turns out he's got a thing for people food! He's a skinny, lanky boy and I'm hoping he'll fill out some with some good food and lovin.' He doesn't seem interested in playing - with Lola or toys - and I chalk that up to his age. I know he may not be with me for many years to come but for as long as God allows, I will do my best to give Hana's Bo a good home to live out the rest of his life in.

Here are some pictures. He's got the most beautiful green eyes but getting a picture of them has proved impossible as he's not a fan of the camera.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sufficient Grace Among Thorns

100 Things I'm Thankful For

April Thoughts *Trigger Warning*