On the Receiving End

Let's face it: sin stinks. Big time. Ever since the garden of Eden, man has been filled with sin to the point where it should be the death of us all. Thankfully, we have a Savior that died for those sins and has given us the precious gift of living eternally with Him in spite of those sins. Hallelujah!

Regardless, sin happens. I've sinned against others, causing pain and distrust in the lives of those around me. I have been on the receiving end of sins, hurtful actions and words from others that totally devastated my heart. Those sins were intentional, committed by the person even though they knew what they were doing was wrong. While I have forgiven those sins, there are repercussions that reach far beyond just my relationship, or lack thereof, with them. I posted about this awhile back, http://readangiesthoughts.blogspot.com/2010/06/forgiveness-and-consequences.html, concerning some things that happened during my childhood at the hands of my grandfather. Even though forgiveness has been given, there are still consequences.

 Lately, however, I've found myself on the other end of things - being the one who sinned and was forgiven, but the repercussions continue to this day. When I was in college, I met a guy during a summer retreat and we became good friends. We kept in touch while he got married and started a family. I got to be friends with his wife on Facebook and although I had never met her in person, I really loved her and was taken with her compassion and faith. During a weekend visit to some friends in the city where they lived, I was able to have lunch with this couple and their children. Getting to see her and talk to her in person just cemented that friendship we had established and it was great to spend some time with them. Over the months that followed, this couple went through some real trials, including a major surgery for the wife with a huge season of recovery. I was amazed at her faith and strength during such a trying time in her life and she always continued to encourage me in my own walk, in spite of all she was going through herself.

Last spring, I made a very naive decision in my friendship with this couple and the ties of that friendship were severed. To say I was devastated was an understatement. I felt stupid and foolish for what I had done and I never imagined it would be the end of my friendship with them both. But it was...and it hurt. A lot.

Though a lot of prayer and communication - including texts, a letter, emails, etc., - we've slowly begun to mend the broken pieces of the friendship. It has been wonderful to be back in touch with them and reconnect. However, things are not the same as they were before. I guess I was foolish to believe they would be, and it makes me incredibly sad. I understand, though, that this is what it's like to live with those repercussions that come from sin. I can only pray that over time, my friendship with them will grow stronger and that the gaping chasms that exist will somehow begin to close themselves.

Thank you, Lord, for your forgiveness and grace. Thank you for using this painful lesson to remind me that my sins against You and others will be painful but they will never separate me from you forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sufficient Grace Among Thorns

100 Things I'm Thankful For

April Thoughts *Trigger Warning*