The Holidays (Dum, Dum, Duuuuummmm...)

Recently I was driving home from work listening to KLOV, which is the norm for the end of my work day, and suddenly the sounds of Christmas songs filled my car as they promoted a series of Christmas concerts featuring Christian artist. Immediately my heart sunk in my chest and I felt the all too familiar sense of sadness wash over me. It's here, I realized...The Holidays.

For me, the true reason for Christmas is to celebrate the birth of Christ. I am more in awe every year at the idea of God sending His son as a baby to a young woman who only wanted to do His will. But Christmas is also about family, gifts, joy, get-togethers, parties, etc. I'm willing to bet most people would declare this time of the year as their favorite. For many others, myself included, it is all of that mixed with a whole lot of sadness and heartache. The holiday season is often a time of depression and loneliness for me and countless others.

Don't get me wrong. I love spending the time with my family and I enjoy giving presents to those that I love. I love the lights decorating houses and trees and I love the baked treats people pull out of their ovens. I love watching little kids get excited for Santa to come and I love watching the joy on their faces as they open gifts. The past few years I've spent Christmas with my brother and his family and I have come to look forward to the traditions we have made and the fun we have. I enjoy my time with them so much.

However, there is still a part of my heart that aches as I can't help but remember past Christmases that were less than ideal. I don't purposely try to bring to mind these memories, they just pop up out of nowhere the instant I hear the opening lines of a Christmas song. The sting is there and it threatens to pull me into a darkness and despair I fight so hard to fend off.

So, try to be mindful of others this holiday season.  Don't take it personally if they don't share your smile as you wish them a Merry Christmas or if their eyes don't light up like yours when the subject of all things jolly comes up. Instead of writing them off as grumpy or unfriendly, try to be patient and understanding. There are a lot of people fighting battles you aren't aware of, even during what is considered the 'happiest season of all.'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sufficient Grace Among Thorns

100 Things I'm Thankful For

April Thoughts *Trigger Warning*